Thursday, March 24, 2016

My Bridesmaid Dress

Mélanie & Danny's wedding!

Here is a quick post about the dress I sewed for me when I was a bridesmaid at my sister's wedding in September 2015. I didn't include the other bridesmaid nor the groom's family in the pictures since they might not want to be on a blog! It was a gorgeous, casual, rugged, woodsy wedding with the emphasis on the delectable food served at the Auberge Baluchon as both my sister and her husband meet while studying/working in the Restoration business...

I opted to sew a dress I could wear often in a bit more casual fabric but with a classic style. The other bridesmaid wore a poly taffeta strapless dress with a short draped skirt and both groomsmen wore EXACTLY the same outfit. It is so much faster and easier for the men : the groom chose the groomsmen outfit, the groomsmen have totally different body types but wore the exact same size! :O

With my stretch cotton sateen dress, I was very comfortable to pickup kids and runs after them in the fields with my sensible platform shoes!! I had a moment when my bagged skirt lining started showing at the bottom, but I just took 5 minutes to tacked it back in place in the bathroom! ;)

Unfortunately, I forgot to take much picture during the wedding ; always a proof that we had a blast! :D


Patterns :
  • Bodice : Simplicity 1882 with the deep V variation + cut at my natural waist. 
  • Skirt : (Gertie's Bombshell) Burda 5/2011 #122 inner skirt (without the extra draped layer in the front).
Fabrics :
  • Cotton/spandex sateen in a navy 
  • Cotton poplin floral for the bodice lining 
  • Rayon bemberg in navy for the skirt lining, so it wouldn't cling to my pantyhose.
Patterns Changes :
  • I added bra stays at the shoulder.
  • I modified the princess seams at the bust a bit (about 1/4 inch)
  • I changed the skirt lining darts to pleats.
  • I lowered the skirt kick pleat by 2 inches.
  • I aligned the skirt darts with the bodice princess seams.
  • I used 3/8 inch seam allowances.
  • I shorten the hem to knees length (about 20 inches skirt for me).

My father's picture was in her bouquet...


4 comments:

  1. Caroline, ta robe est superbe et tu as l'air rayonnante sur ces photos! As-tu cousu aussi les tenues de tes enfants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Hélène! Mes 2 enfants sont les 2 plus vieux : la grande fille en bleu et le petit coquin avec le noeud papillon. J'ai aussi cousue la robe de ma fille... Je ferai un billet sur celle-là prochainement... :D

      Delete
  2. Oui vraiment une très belle robe, ce bleu te va si bien! Et une très belle photo de famille!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Julie! Vivement le beau temps, qu'on se revoit :D

      Delete