Thursday, July 23, 2015

McCall's 6844 Review

M6844 - Peplum Cardigan

 

High-low Peplum Cardigan


Pattern Description

McCall's 6844 is a cardigan with fold over neckline with or without a peplum. Close-fitting cardigans (do not meet at center front) have collar extending into front band, and narrow hem. A and C: shaped hemline, wrong side shows. For Sweater Knits, Novelty Knits, Interlock fabrics.

Pattern Sizing

I made view C (high-low peplum) in the size L. I am 5'2", 165 lbs, 40(34G)-33-40. It is a little large in the shoulders, maybe a M with FBA would have been better since the CF meets and the description says it shouldn't.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes, but maybe a tad larger than intended.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Yes.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I really like the peplum on my silhouette. It is comfortable to wear as being a knit but still chic enough to go out for dinner with it (I paired it with a black pencil skirt and white with fuchsia florals crepe top)

Fabric Used

I used the remnant from my Tiramisu dress (see other review) and I had barely enough to sew it with 3/4 sleeves - the sleeves were also cut with the stretch going up/down for lack of fabric... I love the color and the weight of the fabric for this cardigan, but this poly ponte pile like crazy. I knew that before sewing it so I made it as a wearable muslin.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made

I mage 3/4 sleeves because I didn't have enough fabric for the long sleeves. I used clear elastic in the shoulders seams.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

Yes, I will try it in M with FBA. In an abstract Black and white print, it would be more versatile in my closet too. I like to wear it with a belt but I think it might be because it is too large and do not look good without the belt (too floppy, no waist definition on me without the belt).

Pattern review page here.

6 comments:

  1. I just read your guide to Montreal in Seamwork Magazine and totally loved it! I'm based in Ottawa and think I'll be making a pilgrimage to MTL for my next batch of fabric (Ottawa likes quilting and that's about it - we don't have much in the way of fashion fabric). Do you know if Ottawa has any sort of similar sewing community? I love the idea of meeting up to talk sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I know that Kay Young (The sewing lawyer) lives in Ottawa and she told me once that there is a fabric market yearly... But I've never been fabric shopping there myself. She comes to Montreal to shop for fabrics quite often! In Montreal, we are about a dozen that usually meet about twice a year - let me know when you come, we might meet! :D

      Delete
  2. Allo Carolyne, ce style de gilet te va tellement bien! Et avec la ceinture wow! Patron intéressant...
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice jacket/cardigan MsCaro! :)

    ReplyDelete