Thursday, June 18, 2015

Unselfish Sewing : purse and dress

My daughter's dress / Robe pour ma fille


My daughter is only 6 years old, but she is very opinionated about what she wants to wear at my sister's wedding next September... At first she wanted a mermaid skirt, but I was afraid it wouldn't allow her the liberty of movement she will crave to play! We had some discussions, none of us really happy with the compromises... But then she saw a pin on my Pinterest board of a one shoulder sheath dress and asked me if I could sew that bodice but with a a high-low skirt like her favorite Barbie dress. Of course my love!

The bodice pattern is the Bridgette Dress from Violet Field Threads Etsy shop. I drafted the full circle skirt with box pleats in the back and pleats in the front, similar to the By Hand London Flora dress and a wink to the 9,500$ Mikado Silk Dior Dress (similar to Jennifer Lawrence) I tried once in NYC!

Here is the muslin in her favorite color awaiting hemming and a zipper. She was so thrilled she wants me to finish it for the last day of school next week! Sorry for the blurry pictures ; those were the best out of the gazillion of twirling-like-a-tornado-of-giggles pictures!


Muslin for my daughter's dress for the wedding


Clutch purse / Petit sac à main


As a gift for my mother in law, I chose a bag pattern that matched her coral & white dress pleated neckline, used remnant of my own bridesmaid dresses (a white poly satin) and fabric from her own mother's stash for the lining. I sewed it up and send it via priority mail to be on time for her retirement party! She was very happy and I liked it so much that I will sew 2 more for the bridesmaid at my sister's wedding! The pattern is the Wrislet Clutch Purse from Constructiv Patterns Etsy shop.

I love the final sewn clutch ; it is a great size for a night out and I love the recessed zipper as it look more professional! The PDF pattern was easy to assemble. I prefer pattern with more illustration than text, but it wasn't too difficult to put together. Next one I will do, I will make a removable strap instead, using a clip on the strap and D ring sewn in the side seam of the bag.


Gail's Retirement Purse

No comments:

Post a Comment